“Can you discern between resistance and fear and strategic changes in direction? …not giving up and changing direction because something is hard or scary, yet being willing to change your mind even when something you really wanted to pursue is no longer a good investment of your precious resources?”
Reflect, refresh, and recalibrate
The change in seasons reminds us that it’s time to pause and reflect on what’s behind and what’s ahead of us. In organizational life we do quarterly reviews to assess progress and determine what we might need to stop, start and keep doing. Where do we need to step on the gas? Where should we apply brakes?
Spring (our current season in the Northern Hemisphere) is symbolic of new beginnings. Can you find this feeling of a fresh start and new growth in yourself?
Respond with Agility
In a constantly changing world, it’s not a problem to adjust our approach or our vision – it’s a strategic response. We reflect on our commitments in order to respond with agility.
In this discussion, we’re going to:
- Pause in a deliberate way to connect with what’s important to us and our work in the world
- Locate ourselves in a broader context, beyond our goals
- Take the opportunity to apply discernment to our earlier planning: do our original commitments still make good strategic sense? Are we placing our efforts on the right priorities?
This is a worthwhile practice to do individually and with your team. You can do this activity anywhere, anytime you have a spare moment, mentally or with a journal.
Answer these questions quarterly:
- Who is the person (or team) you are committed to becoming?
- What is the impact you want to make?
- How are you doing on your goals? What adjustments do you want to make?
- How are your systems, processes, and practices supporting your intended impact?
Links & resources:
Beginning Again 2022 https://mailchi.mp/68e183fd18bf/beginningagain2022
Podcast (source of Locate Yourself) Tami Simon & Lynne Twist on Sounds True: An Evolutionary Leap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV3BwmYkOCU
Article: How Regular Rhythms Unlock Powerful Growth https://www.monkhouseandcompany.com/blog/how-regular-rhythms-unlock-powerful-growth/
To discuss executive coaching, leadership development program design, and workshop facilitation, please visit: